Top 10 retirement quotes that inspire to save & invest for your future
Words have power. When delivered with the right intent and energy, they incite, empower and liberate. On the other hand, they can also demotivate and destroy.
Great thinkers put words in order, giving them life and a purpose to inspire and empower. When we repeat their words, they are called quotes.
Here are the ten retirement quotes that inspire me to save and invest for my future. I hope that they encourage you as well.
1. "Retirement is wonderful if you have two essentials — much to live on and much to live for." Author Unknown
This quote is my all-time favorite. It sums up retirement planning. Totally - inspiring us to focus on our finances, life, and relationship goals. Because having one or two without the others will still leave us empty.
Speaking about emptiness, we all know that
2. "You cannot pour from an empty cup." - Unknown.
So it is crucial to pay yourself first. Unless you have a sense of financial security and the feeling of fulfillment, it isn't easy to give, even to your loved ones, when you are financially insecure.
3. "The question isn't at what age I want to retire; it's at what income." George Foreman
A professional boxer who later became an entrepreneur, minister, and author. He came out of retirement twice to fund his dream projects.
Much like professional sportspeople, ex-pats also have few very productive years of earning. It is vital to capitalize on this opportunity while it lasts and make the best out of it for ourselves and our loved ones.
Thankfully for George Foreman, he could come back from retirement and still make it big, but I am unsure if we can do the same in our industries. Particularly when the concept of a stable job is slowly fading, and the gig economy is fast emerging, while technology innovations disrupt the future of employment.
Yet, there has been very little change in the way people approach their retirement savings.
The following three quotes highlight the importance of a dependable income to fund your dreams during retirement;
4. "You can be young without money, but you can't be old without it." Tennessee Williams
5. "A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." John Barrymore
6. "Not having to worry about money is almost like not having to worry about dying." Mario Puzo
Many think that retirement is the end of the road, so it does not motivate them to plan, save, and invest. The following quote from Betty Sullivan inspires us to believe otherwise.
7. "There is a whole new kind of life ahead, full of experiences just waiting to happen. Some call it retirement. I call it bliss." Betty Sullivan
The following quotes from Robert Delamontague and Patrick Foley add more fuel to this fire;
8. "For many, retirement is a time for personal growth, which becomes the path to greater freedom." –Robert Delamontague.
9. "Retirement is a blank sheet of paper. It is a chance to redesign your life into something new and different." Patrick Foley
Last but not least, inspiration should lead to action. Here is a quote from Alan Lakein, urging us to take control of the future;
"Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now." Alan Lakein
In Tamil, there is a phrase "பூவோடு சேர்ந்த நாறும் மணக்கும்" which roughly translates into
"The twine that holds the garland together also relays the fragrance."
Likewise, in the virtual company of great thinkers and many profound discussions with clients and prospects, I was able to come up with the following;
"Retirement can be a reward for diligent savings and prudent investing or a punishment for not doing so!"
"Inflation is the most potential, but least understood financial risk."
"The biggest risk with investments is not having enough!"
I hope the listed quotes inspired you to think about investing for retirement. Click here to arrange a free online consultation to kickstart your retirement planning.
Feel free to share your feedback in the comments below and share the best quote that inspired you to save and invest for your retirement.
Author, Blogger & Independent Financial Advisor. My goal is to give you actionable tools for creating passive income and building wealth. More than 10,000 expats have already used my ideas to jumpstart their journey towards financial independence. Connect with me to start yours...